Friday, September 25, 2009

Scared...

I have to get this out there and ask for thoughts from other people. Ever since I found out I'm pregnant I have been comtemplating whether or not to get the H1N1 vaccine for myself and for Dylan. I am scared to do it because I don't feel like there has been adequate testing though I know they are still testing it. I'm scared if I do get it for myself or Dylan it could cause serious long term effects. But if I don't get it and either myself or Dylan gets it and something happens to him or the baby I'm carrying it would be devastating. I am trying to research and get more information to help make my decision but in the long run I think it's going to come down to me weighing the risks. I am not as worried about Dylan. He isn't around a lot of other kids or anything like that and he doesn't have any other health concerns. But for myself being pregnant knowing the increased risk of pregnancy and the flu, whether it be H1N1 or just the regular flu, I'm totally at a loss for what to do.

Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe I'm hormonal, but I'm very concerned about what to do with this. I had never gotten the regular flu vaccine until the year after Dylan was born. I just wasn't comfortable taking it. So I think well I didn't get too sick with the flu when I was pregnant with Dylan so I should be fine with this pregnancy. But then I start to second guess myself thinking what if I don't get the vaccines and something does happen to me or I go into pre mature labor or something.

Help....I am thinking too much on this?

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit I'm worried too. I did get the flu vaccine while I was pregnant with Morganne and obviously, no ill effects. I will say that I'm nervous about the H1N1 too, as it is so new. My family doctor, who used to be an OB, and also sees Morganne, told me that when it comes down to it the H1N1 is still a flu vaccine, just a different strand. Morganne is getting the regular flu vaccine next month. She is in daycare, so at least we can avoid it with her hopefully. I still don't know how I feel about it for me and will most likely discuss it more in depth with my OB. I'm like you, I know a little too much about medicine to scare me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete